Where does your drinking water come from and is it protected from pollutants?
Long Island’s Drinking Water Published on Apr 30, 2012 by gracelinks
Do you know where your water comes from? That was the question posed to Long Islanders for a new video produced by the GRACE Communications Foundation. Consider this video a first step towards engaging Long Island residents about the Long Island Aquifer System and providing ideas about how they can be better stewards of this vital resource.
|Did You Know….?
- 97% of the water on earth is in the oceans
- Only 3% of the water on earth is freshwater
- About 2.4% of the water on earth is permanently frozen in glaciers and at the polar ice caps
- About 1/2 of 1 % of the water on earth is groundwater
- Only about 1/100 of 1% of the water on earth is in the rivers and lakes
- It takes 39,090 gallons of water to make a new car, including the tires
- Over 17,000,000 houses use private wells for their drinking water supply
- A person can live about a month without food, but can live only about 1 week without water